Pizza and Burritos.
Right off the bat those two might sound like unhealthy options. They are if you’re ordering in pizza and stuffing yourself or packing a burrito from Burrito Boys to its limit, but if you make them yourself you can control how healthy (or unhealthy) they are. These aren’t the healthiest possible options of course, but they may help remedy some of your unhealthy binging habits.
I’m going to be honest with you, like many other students whenever I order pizza I tend to eat the whole thing in one night, and its usually after a night of drinking. So rather than gorge myself on pizza I’ve found making my own in advance works wonders. I find making it in advance is better because drunk people + hot things = bad.
Here’s what you do:
1) Buy a pre-cooked pizza base (naan bread works well for this), pizza sauce, some cheese, and some toppings (maximize on green veggies if you want to be healthy)
2) Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF
3) Spread some pizza sauce on the base, then grate some cheese overtop
4) Put on additional toppings
5) Put it in the oven on a baking sheet for 4-6 minutes
6) Enjoy your pizza without having to wait 30 minutes+ for delivery
Sure you could eat quinoa instead, which I’m sure takes no time at all, or lentils, but I found after eating those for a few weeks I got really bored. If you really like those things then by all means attempt to replace your pizza cravings with those. But if not, surrender yourself to a healthier version of pizza binging.
I’m not qualified to speak for the masses, but I know when I go to a burrito place, I get a ton of stuff in it just because its there, and what started off as a best-intentions burrito ends off being a “I’m going to stuff my face” burrito.
Here’s a simple remedy to this “situation”:
1) Buy whole wheat/grain tortilla, bell peppers, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, and maybe some ground beef if you’re up for that
2) Cook the ground beef in a pan (add oil then cook until no longer pink in the centre)
3) Chop the veggies, grate the cheese
4) Make the burrito to your desires
5) Eat the burrito
6) Reminisce about the burrito and don’t feel (too) bad about it
I hope this helps make your binging sessions a bit healthier!